Adjust is a mobile attribution and in-app analytics provider that allows you to identify the Android App Stores that generate traffic from your most valuable app users. Utilize our dynamic tracking system to differentiate the conversions driven by your paid campaigns from organic installs in third-party Android App Stores.
With Adjust, it’s easy to attribute your app users to pre-loaded app install platforms or third-party Android stores with specific APK versions and Tracker URLs for preferred partners.
- 1 Set up Adjust tracking for Organic Installs in third-party Android App Stores or pre-loaded app install platforms
- 2 Set up Adjust tracking for Paid Installs generated in third-party Android App Stores
- 3 Testing Integration
Note: The following page contains examples using a minimum-length tracker token. Always use the entire tracker token as displayed in your Adjust Campaign Wizard
If you are using the Fraud Prevention Suite, please reach out to your account manager or to email@example.com to whitelist the preinstall tracker.
1Set up Adjust tracking for Organic Installs in third-party Android App Stores or pre-loaded app install platforms
1.1Generate your Adjust tracker
Step 1 - In the Adjust Dashboard:
Click into App Settings > Data Management > Trackers
Navigate to the bottom of the window, click on
NEW TRACKER, type in the desired name of your new Adjust Tracker URL, then click CREATE
Step 2 - Retrieve the Adjust Tracker Token(s) for your Organic Store Tracker URL(s) to submit to your Android Developer.
The Adjust Tracker Token is the alphanumeric code at the end of your Adjust Tracker URL. In the example Tracker,
https://app.adjust.com/abc123, the Adjust Tracker Token is
1.2Instructions for Developers
Adjust Tracking for pre-installed apps requires a specific APK version that automatically assigns installs to a predefined Tracker URL, written directly into the Adjust SDK. Adjust has developed a small ruby command line that allows you to quickly generate duplicate APKs with custom, pre-assigned Tracker Tokens. Once configured, the Adjust SDK will report all first app-opens (installs) with the preset Tracker Token, which Adjust will use for attributing users to your platform.
Adjust SDK Requirements:
- Android Version 4.11 or higher
- Verify System Requirements
- Identify the Organic Store Tracker Tokens as generated within the Adjust Dashboard
- Generate adjust-config.yaml configuration file with settings for each third-party Android store — full instructions here.
- Run Store and Pre-install Tracker Tool
- Once complete, the Store and Pre-install Tracker Tool will have generated an APK for your specific store/platform.
2Set up Adjust tracking for Paid Installs generated in third-party Android App Stores
In order to track paid installs generated by third-party Android App Stores you do not need to use the Store and Pre-Install Tracker Tool but can rather use the standard Adjust tracking URL.
To test that Adjust is properly tracking the Partner version of your APK, follow the steps below:
- Operate an Android device that:
- Does not have your app installed and
- Has not been tracked by Adjust - In order for Adjust to track your test app launch as an install, all previously tracked app activity must be cleared from the Adjust system. To erase a device’s app history from the backend, use our Forget Device API. Instructions for accessing the Forget Device API are listed in the section below.
- Download the Partner APK with the hard-coded Tracker Token
- Open the app
- Check the Adjust Dashboard for an install tied to the hard-coded Tracker Token
Note: While all Adjust tracking is recorded in real-time, it can take up to twenty minutes for your install to appear in your Adjust Dashboard.
3.1Clearing your Android Device from Adjust
Conduct multiple tests on the same device with the Adjust Testing Console.